Saturday, July 31, 2010

God's will

Have you watched the news lately? Sometimes I think I may just have to stop. Why? Because it's difficult to see all the bad news that there is to see night after night. It's difficult to see the state of our economy not getting a whole lot better. It's difficult to see people and places being destroyed by fires, earthquakes, floods, and by the enormous amount of oil that spilled in the gulf.

As a Christian, I find myself being asked by unbelievers "where on earth is the goodness of God in all of this? What kind of God lets terrible things happen?". Of course, I know that God is good all the time. I know that God doesn't delight in the affliction that so many suffer and in the slow but steady demise of our planet. But, how do I explain to an unbeliever that God is here, that He sees what is happening and is saddened about it? How do I explain that He cares about and loves all of us? How do I explain God's will to an unbeliever?

Today, I found a great excerpt from C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. He puts it in a context that is quite easy to understand. He writes:

"Christians believe that an evil power has made himself for the present the prince of this world. And, of course, that raises problems. Is this state of affairs in accordance with God's will or not? If it is, He is a strange God you will say; and if it is not, how can anything happen contrary to the will of a Being with absolute power?

But anyone who has been in authority knows how a thing can be in accordance with your will in one way and not in another. It may be quite sensible for a mother to say to her children, "I'm not going to go and make you tidy the schoolroom every night. You've got to learn to keep it tidy on your own". Then she goes up one night and finds the teddy bear and the ink and the French grammar all lying in the grate. That is against her will. She would prefer the children to be tidy. But on the other hand, it is her will which has left the children free to be untidy."

This certainly makes sense. God has given us the freedom to live our lives as we please, but God's will is His perfect plan for our lives. It's to give us hope and a future, not to harm us.

I hope I keep this in mind the next time I have a pity party and feel like asking God "why me?". (It does happen!)

Thank you for stopping by and may you and yours be blessed today and always.

{hugs}

10 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Very interesting thoughts. The constant question of non believers is...why did God allow such and such?? It isnt easy to explain freedom of choice.

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Melody,
I don't watch tv as we don't have one (read as - don't want one) so when I hear about the disasters I see them this way: God said to live a certain way and if we don't...then there are consequences.
On a happy note - He's coming for us soon! :) Have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Oh, I do love C.S. Lewis Melody. He has a way of making the most difficult things understandable. I feel the same way about the news. It is hard to listen to it these days.
I often think that in so many ways this country has shoved God aside, and at the same time wants Him to make everything right and good. It's a paradox.
I do hope He comes soon. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

ChaChaneen said...

Thanks for visiting yesterday! I had never heard of 5 Guys before so I was delighted to learn that 4 of them are 'coming soon' on the map of their website! The burgers look yummy!

Sonic's milkshakes are to live for! Our current favorite is the Java Chiller, it is a chocolate/coffee flavor combo. Mmmmm It's a moaner!

Lib said...

Amen Sister! A great post.
Have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib

Anonymous said...

I tell myself all that time that I am going to stop reading the paper. I've never been much into watching the news. The local paper is bad enough! I think free will is one of the hardest things to comprehend! I just try to think of it as our choices equal consequences whether good or bad. I had a Bible study teacher that once told us that if it weren't for free will we'd all be God's puppets and that isn't what He wants. He wants us to have that freedom in hopes that we choose Him!

valerie said...

It is so difficult to explain and as a Christian I know God is sovereign and trust that His will is best. Do I understand some of the very tragic things going on in the lives of some of my friends & in the lives of those I hear on the news? NO! I know one day in heaven God will pull the curtain and show us and we will say "Awww....that's why." In the meantime I just have to trust Him & know He will be my constant peace in troubled times.
I love C.S. Lewis. Great post Melody.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. We had the most wonderful vacation. I am blessed indeed.

Have a great Tuesday!
Love,
Valerie

Elena said...

This is a great post! So very true. Thank you for sharing it.

Raise Them Up said...

I've been asked that many times. It really is a tough one to answer. I like how C.S. Lewis explains it.

God never promises to protect us from all bad things. But he does promise to never leave us alone to face it.

I really enjoy your writing. You have a wonderful way of encouraging those who stop by. :)

Brenda said...

I'm going to keep that quote. Explained well in a nutshell. We don't watch tv other than for dvds. But I hear plenty from other people, which is pretty much the news anyhow, 2nd hand.
My husband's and my calling is to pray. That's when I know we're in His perfect will.
God bless!